Confession time. I have been seeing someone for the last two months and things are going well. I am normally not a person who stresses over gifts, but I have been surveying my friends, both male and female, to come to terms over what an appropriate christmas gift for the boyfriend is, and whether 9 weeks even warrants one.
I like shopping and presents, so I assume that everyone else does as well, but you never know. What does one get for a new boyfriend for christmas?
What are good gift ideas for a new boyfriend or girlfriend?
The list that we ended up compiling consists of girlfriend or boyfriend gift ideas for any occasion. I am listing all the suggestions that I received over the course of the last 4 days of research:
Holiday Gift Ideas for the boyfriend.
- Something useful and valuable, ie Tools if he builds things, computer parts if he is, you know, techy. Anything that shows you pay attention to his interests. This serves 2 purposes. 1) allows you to show that you care and know him well enough, and 2), it avoids the creepy long term cliches that come with presents so early on in the relationship.This is not the most romantic gift, but it is the most practical.
- Sports tickets OR Jerseys. I mean what guy doesn’t like sports right? And now that the NBA is back, we have basketball and hockey to watch.
- A watch. I love men’s watches. I wear those instead of women’s. And I think that would make an excellent gift for the boyfriend.
- Cologne. This has the added benefit of having him smell good all the time.
- Electronics. Something like a tablet. This is a good plan if you have been dating a while, not so much if you just started dating.
- A sweater. Its not committal and useful in the winter.
- Sunglasses. Again one of my fetishes, so it is only natural that I date a guy who likes these, too.
- Snowboard gear. We have made plans to go snowboarding this winter and he mentioned that he is lacking gloves.
- Video Games. This will create a special place in his heart.
- Ipod Nano. Stays within my budget and is something that he needs for the gym since he refuses to use his cell there.
- Really nice after shave lotion. 2 benefits- 1)he will smell really nice. 2)Cuts down on the stubble. Ladies, you know what I mean.
- A really great pair of headphones. I like Dr Dre ones, but they are ridiculously price, and overkill for a gift for the boyfriend.
- Something of interest. A new cd, concert tickets, take to a local show. Pretty much, anything that involves an activity. Those are the winners. This helps strengthen your relationship and allows you to find common interests.
- Something handmade. This can be corny tho. I really am drawn to the idea of knitting him a hat or a scarf however I am so short on time.
Holiday gift ideas to avoid if you just started dating:
Anything with a contract, ie a cell phone, gym membership, vacation for 6 months from now. These work well if you have been with someone for a long period of time. I have heard numerous horror stories with cell phones and ex boyfriends/girlfriends.
What do you think is a great holiday gift idea for the boyfriend?