How do you feel about renting cars when you’re going on vacation? I, personally, like relying on public transit because you get to know the city better that way, but will rent a car when I’m travelling for work. You’re in a different mood when on vacation compared to travelling for business. When planning your vacation a common thing that people often wrestle with is the decision whether or not to rent a car while travelling. Obviously, this is based heavily on where you are going and what you plan on doing while on vacation, but there are some travel destinations where it can be difficult to decide which option is best. Do you spend the extra money and get the car? Or do you wait and see once you get to your travel destination to make a decision?
The Pros of Renting a Car while Travelling
Deciding to rent a car has its advantages and if you do decide to rent one, make sure you are covered and your auto insurance for the rental is taken care of. Once you get that in order, there are a number of pros when you rent a car for your travels:
- You can explore at your own pace: Renting a car allows you to venture out at your own pace. You can do what you want, when you want to do it.
- You can see more things: Renting a car provides you with more freedom to see more things. You can drive further away from your hotel and see more local sites.
- You are not restricted to a specific place: You are not restricted to just your hotel, resort or places that are within walking distance. You can drive where ever you want to go.
- No need to rely on public transportation: When you rent a car you don’t have to wait for public transport and you don’t have to plan your day around the time schedule of tourist shuttles.
- You don’t have to pay for travel: Outside of gas, you won’t have to worry about paying for transportation if you want to go somewhere.
The Cons of Renting a Car while Travelling
Renting a car when travelling may also have a number of drawbacks, so make sure that renting a car will be worth it or it could be a big waste of time and money. Here are some of the cons to consider:
- Cost: Renting a car is going to drive up the cost of your vacation. If this is an issue, then you may want to forget about renting a car.
- Risk: When you rent a car, there is always the risk that you could damage the vehicle or even get into an account. So, make sure your auto insurance covers you for a rental car.
- You may not need a car: The truth is that once you get to your travel destination, you may realize that you don’t actually need the rental car. So, think twice before you book it.
- Worry about parking: Parking could be an issue with a rental car. You may be required to pay for parking when you visit different tourist areas. Plus, you will need to make arrangements with your hotel for parking, which you may also have to pay for daily.
There are pros and cons to both sides. You just need to decide whether or not renting a car will factor into your travel plans.